The name Monhegan is derived from an Algonquian Indian word for out-to-sea-island. It lies in Muscongus Bay, twelve miles off Maine’s mid-coast. The island was first visited by Europeans in 1603 by Martin Pring. It was visited again in 1604 by Samuel de Champlain and in 1614 by Captain John Smith. By 1620 it was an established British fishing camp, harvesting and drying cod for shipment to Europe. Fishermen, lobstermen and subsistence farmers have lived and worked since on the island. In the middle eighteen hundreds its tradition as an artist community began and through the years such names as George Bellows, Sears Gallagher, Robert Henri, Edward Hopper, Rockwell Kent, S.P. Rolt Triscott, Andrew Wyeth and Jamie Wyeth became apart of its lore. It’s a mystical and beautiful place whose summer residents and a small winter population steadfastly protect its history, its traditions and its character.